Saturday, October 1, 2016

National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October is the month we set aside for remembering loved ones who have battled breast cancer.


Lisa and her husband John, summer 2016


My sister, Lisa Petersen, is a breast cancer survivor! She has been cancer free for 6 years. She received her diagnosis in April 2010, about the same time our dad received a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. 



Lisa and Dad, summer 2010
Lisa is a fighter. Battling her own cancer, she underwent surgeries, and treatments, and as soon as she could, she went to stay with dad during his last few weeks on this earth. She is a nurse and she wanted to give him the best care possible. She loved him and treated him with such dignity and respect in his final days. It was so hard on her to care for him while she was in such physical pain and to endure the emotional agony of watching Dad slip away, but she wouldn't leave him. Although Dad lost his battle, I will forever be grateful for my sister's love and devotion to him. 



Although Lisa is my younger sister, she acts like my big sister. She always checks up on her siblings (all 6 of us) to see how we are and what she can do to help. She has the most loving, generous heart and caring soul of anyone I have ever met. I thank God every day that He has allowed her more time on this earth. We are all very fortunate to have her in our lives and I love her dearly!

I hope one day, we will see cancer eradicated from this world. Do you know someone who is battling breast cancer or is a survivor? 


Thanks,
The Genealogy Grandma

3 comments:

  1. �� Sis, your words touch my heart. Thank you for this special gift. Sometimes words are the best gifts to give. I love you so much and I'm grateful for your love and friendship. I'm honored that you wanted to write about me. Kisses and hugs to you sissy.
    Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call it like I see it. You are a very special person.

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful tribute to such a beautiful person! I agree with you on this sis, Lisa is the most giving and tender hearted person I know. I see her as a Matthew 5:8 person!

    ReplyDelete