Sunday, May 22, 2016

My Genealogy Life - Randy Seaver's Challenge

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings asked this question on Saturday Night Genealogy Fun:

1)  Tell us about your "genealogy life."  How much genealogy and family history work do you do, on average, each week?  What tasks do you routinely perform every day, every month, every year?

2)  Share your genealogy life in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or on Facebook or google+.

I decided to accept the challenge:
My Genealogy Life

I don't spend as much time as I would like on genealogy. As a teacher, for about 10 months out of the year, I create lesson plans, quizzes, grade papers, and look for new exciting ways to get lessons across. I also have one teenager at home who is involved in many extra-curricular activities. She doesn't drive, so I am literally "on the road" much of the time. That doesn't leave much time. So....

Through the school year, I spend 3-4 hours a weekend on some aspect of genealogy. During the summer, that jumps to about 25-30 hours a week. During this time, I...

* Read genealogy blogs - I am following 20, but I am all ways looking for more. 

* Continue to clean up my files from previous years when my citations were sparse. I started the Genealogy Do-Over by Thomas MacEntee in order to organize and clean up both my paper and digital files.

* Write my blog. Although I began this blog in March 2015, I have been inconsistent in posting.  I am working on correcting this oversight. I will be posting daily themes 2-3 days a week, and I will be posting a Plan of Action to help me break through my brick walls. 

* I use Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ to get the word out for my blog.

* Doing research - I subscribe to Ancestry.com, but I also use FamilySearch, and many other free websites. I enter my findings in Family Tree Maker 2012 and in RootsMagic. I started using RootsMagic when Ancestry stated they would no longer make FTM in the future. They have now reversed that decision. There are many aspects of FTM I enjoy, but I have found that RootsMagic is easier to use for citations and I like the reports better. 

* During the summer, I make day trips to county courthouses, libraries, and cemeteries for research.  

* Watch webinars 1-3 times a week. If I am unable to watch them live, I watch them later in the day.

That is my genealogy life! What is yours?




No comments:

Post a Comment